A Nordic King By Karina Halle

Pages: 348
Release Date: September 21st 2018
Publisher: kindle edition
Buy: Amazon
Add: Goodreads

Synopsis...
When I first applied for the job I thought it would be like all the others: working as a nanny for an aristocratic family.
Then I got the job and found out how wrong I was.

Now I’m the new nanny for two adorable little girls who happen to be princesses.

Their father is the widowed King of Denmark.
And my new home? The royal palace in Copenhagen.
Adjusting to my new life isn't easy but the hardest part hasn’t been the girls who still grieve over the loss of their mother.

It’s their father.
Cold, mysterious and moody, with an icy stare that seems to penetrate your soul, King Aksel may have hired me to take care of his daughters but he wants as little to do with me as possible. 

Yet the longer I share these palace walls with this man, the more that I’m drawn to him. His chiseled face and sexual swagger are only part of the package. It’s in the long, intense glances at the dinner table, the way we’ll brush up against each other in the halls, the rare glimpses of the man deep inside, like the sun passing through clouds.
But no matter how I feel about him, we can never be together.

You think it's bad enough being in love with your boss?
Try falling in love with a king.


My Thoughts...

Before I get into this review, I probably should admit that I have an obsession with the single dad/ young nanny trope, so it is no surprise that I jumped up and down when I got to review this book as an advanced reader! It is also no surprise when I say that I finished this book in one sitting! It was that good!

Aurora, an experienced nanny,  is looking for a new job, so when she gets an interview to nanny for a family in Copenhagen, she knew that she had to get this job. What she didn't expect however, is to be interviewing for a job of looking after the daughters of an aristocratic family  . What she also doesn't expect, is living in the same very palace with their father - the widowed King Aksel. It is apparent from the very first meeting with the two adorable girls - Clara and Freja, that she is the perfect nanny for them, to help them move on from their mother's death and who also understands them. But it is also apparent that skills aside - Askel's disapproval does not go unnoticed.  However, Aksel's weakness is his little girls - and what his girls want, is what they will get and they want Aurora. 

Aksel is a complex character. From the beginning, he is driven by both guilt and anger after a terrible tragedy leaves him a widow and a single parent. He tries to avoid any danger of falling in love again and his attraction to Aurora is anything but good so he attempts to mask his attraction by being insulting, rude and quite frankly, an asshole.

Unfortunately for him, Aurora is a sassy, feisty heroine who fights to gain his trust in looking after his daughters but also, his heart. Her dedication to take care of whats important to the girls such as Snarf- Snarf, and him, is adorable ( probably one of my highlights of this book!) and her motherly nurturing nature is irresistible to Aksel and slowly, he finds himself falling head over heels. 

Bloody hell. I think I’m in love with my boss. A king. And there’s nothing I can do to stop it.

I usually refrain from reading books that have royalty - purely because I find, in the efforts to make the royalty believable and to maintain royal etiquette -  sometimes normal behaviors of attraction and dialogue is compromised - however, come through Karina Halle in this writing space and boy does she NAIL IT! She has opened up a new appreciation and now I am definitely going to read the other books with royalty for sure! Not only did she manage to flawlessly craft a king which doesn't just have power but owns it in every possible way, but also she manages to create our dream bad-ass, broody, King that we didn't know we craved! I mean... what's not to love?!

I've loved Karina Halle books since Love in English and The Debt series but Nordic King has now pushed its way to number one for sure! There. I said it. It's my all time favourite! Halle cleverly crafts scenes to create a sexual tension tug of war between Aurora and Aksel - the Help and the King. The ultimate, scandalous, forbidden romance coming to life in our imaginations.  She flawlessly manipulates the characters through her descriptive dialogue making us in tune to both Aksel's and Aurora's emotions simultaneously. 

“I am a king. And I belong to you in ways I never thought possible. More than I belong to my country, more than I belong to the people, I belong to you.”

Boy did I love this book, I cannot express enough how much Karina Halle has outdone herself with this one! I eagerly await to read every book that follows! If you are a fan of forbidden romance, with age gaps, single fathers, and broody, asshole heroes, then this is your book!
My Rating: 5 Stars!!
*I received an ARC for an Honest Review*

Comments

Popular Posts